Sepp Holzer farms steep mountainsides in Austria, 1,500 metres above sea level. His farm is an intricate network of terraces, raised beds, ponds, waterways and tracks, well covered with productive fruit trees and other vegetation, with the farmhouse neatly nestling amongst them. This is in dramatic contrast to his neighbours’ spruce monocultures.
In this book, Sepp shares the skill and knowledge acquired over his lifetime. He covers every aspect of his farming methods, not just how to create a holistic system on the farm itself, but how to make a living from it. He writes about everything from the overall concepts, down to the practical details. In Sepp Holzer’s Permaculture you will learn:
- How Sepp himself sets up a permaculture system.
- The fruit varieties Sepp has found best for permaculture growing.
- How to construct terraces, ponds, and waterways.
- How to build shelters for animals and how to work with them on the land.
- How to cultivate edible mushrooms in the garden and on the farm.
Sepp offers a wealth of information for the gardener, smallholder or alternative farmer, yet the book’s greatest value is the attitude it teaches – he reveals the thinking processes based on principles found in nature that create his successful systems. These can be applied by anyone anywhere, and Sepp is increasingly recognised as a leading figure in agriculture.